Saturday, June 13, 2009

Steamboat Reunion Show Sunday 6/14/09

Here are the Basics:

Bands start at 3 p.m. and go to 10:30 or so. The line-up includes:

3:30 p.m. - Rhythm Child
4:30 p.m. - MC Overlord 
5:30 p.m. - Dah-veed 
6:30 pm. - the Alice Rose 
7:30 p.m. - Vallejo 
8:30 p.m. - Sister7 
9:30 p.m. -Johnny Goudie & the Little Champions

Tickets are $10 advance through FrontGate  --  http://www.frontgatetickets.com/  

$15 at the door. 

This year’s proceeds go to HAAM.

http://www.healthallianceforaustinmusicians.org/ 

Upon arrival to Austin I immediately went to 6th street and I fell in love with all the bands and clubs.  I would go see Little Sister at the Black Cat and I caught David Garza at Steamboat--maybe some reggae at Flamingo Cantina... plus I learned about other cool bands like SoulHat, Joe Rockhead and later Vallejo, Mr. Rocket Baby, Podunk, Pushmonkey, the Ugly Americans, Breedlove, Dexter Freebish and countless other amazing local bands!  6th street would have so much live music pulsing out the cracks of all the old buildings that you could walk up and down the street and walk into whatever club felt right for the night.   

Steamboat was definitely a favorite.  When you walked into the club you just knew you would be in for a good time... I would bring all my out of town visitors by so they could see some "real Austin, Texas rock!"  I don't know how many times I would just be walking by on 6th street, then... like a magnet, I would just end up partying at Steamboat!?  I would hear the live music,  cough up the cover and I would just have to check out the bands...

Then I started working at KLBJ and in my 14 years there I learned of even more amazing local bands and over time I befriended many of my 6th street heroes... I sure do miss those days, but I'm glad Danny Crooks has put this show together for us to do it again!  So this Sunday will be a special reunion on so many levels.  Please come out and re-live some of your classic Steamboat memories.  Plus it will be a benefit show to help out all Austin Musicians, so let's all give back and enjoy some great music on Sunday afternoon at Threadgill's South. 


No comments: